I’ve always had a soft spot for the Battelords of the 23rd Century RPG (By SSDC). Despite my issues with it’s overly complex combat system and Matrix Power Point rules (And lack of a proper GM screen), I’ve been a fan of the game since I first sat in as a replacement player for someone’s Orion Rogue years ago. There was something strangely enjoyable about roleplaying a kilt wearing scotsman from Taos 7 as he bets on the outcome of the fight between the Eiridani and Phentari with another Rogue who just had his way with the group’s Cizerak (Who rolled a 00 on her monthly ‘in-heat’ roll).
If you’re not familiar with Battlelords, check out their site here.
Even though I’ve always had difficulty finding players for a game, I still purchase the books when they come out (though I have to special order them as it’s such a niche game, I’m probably the only one at the FLGS to buy them) and I dream of a chance to run an actual campaign. Well, now is the time to dream once more as appaently SSDC’s latest reprint has hit the streets; Galactic Underground 2. In a way, these [GU: 1 through 3] could be considered the splat books (No pun intended) of the game, giving new character rules and races to play with. GU:2 is a re-print of their older edition, introducing some of my favorite races (Furbls and Jezzedaic) and least favorite races (Fott) as well as new matrix powers.
If you’re not a Battlelords player, this book probably is not for you. but if you count yourselves amongst those who know who Mad Mike’s Mercenaries and everyone’s beloved Granny are, then you might want to consider supporting SSDC and grabbing this sucker when it’s hits your FLGS’ shelf.
Hopefully I’ll get it soon and do some kind of a review on it rather than just pimp a book I havn’t even bought yet.
BTW, here’s the details on GU:2 as found on SSDC’s forums:
The new Galactic Underground 2 (compared to the old Galactic Underground 2) has new matrices, a completely rewritten Andromeni, medals for all races, race discussion for all races, archetypes for races, index, and more.
Galactic Underground 2 includes:
* Seven new player character races including the Andromeni energy being, the four-armed Ashanti, and the mysterious Jezzadei
* More than 100 new matrices
* Race-specific medals and commendations
* Roleplaying aid: each race discusses all the rest; loves, hates, and prejudices
* Races without reason
Here are some more details on how the new Galactic Underground 2 is different from the old Galactic Underground 2…
– new art
– new layout
– revised prestige rules
– new and revised matrices for all (7) Galactic Underground races
– revised Atohk rules
– expanded rules of latent extraction
– revised cross networking rules
– medals and awards for all (27) Battlelords races
– expanded matrix outlook section for all (27) Battlelords races
– Gemini zones of control removed
– revised Andromeni, Fott, Furbl, Gemini, Ikrini, Jezzadeic
– archetypes for all (7) Galactic Underground 2 races
– expanded racial preferences table to include ALL (27) Battlelords races
– expanded racial discussion to include ALL (27) Battlelords races